IRS Document Upload Tool
The IRS announced on February 16, 2023 that they will now give taxpayers who receive certain notices requesting them to send documentation the option of uploading the documents via their secure IRS document upload tool instead of mailing them in.
The IRS will make this option available on nine notices that are related to the Earned Income Tax Credit, Premium Tax Credit, Child Tax Credit, members of military claiming combat zone benefits and information related to income reported on the return.
Taxpayers receiving these notices can opt to respond securely with the IRS online, regardless of whether they have an IRS Online Account.
What Notices Qualify for Uploading Documents to the IRS?
The following notices will include language that gives the taxpayer the option to “Send us your documents using the Documentation Upload Tool withing 30 days from the date on the notice” along with a link and a unique access code:
- CP04 – related to combat zone status
- CP05A – income information related to a refund
- CP06 and CP06A – related to IRS auding the return for the Premium Tax Credit
- CP08 – informing the taxpayer that they may be eligible for the Child Tax Credit
- CP09 – informing the taxpayer that they may be eligible for the Earned Income Tax Credit
- CP75 – related to IRS auditing the return for the Earned Income Tax Credit
- CP75a – related to IRS auding the return for Earned Income Tax Credit and asking for information to verify dependents and filing status claimed
- CP75d – related to IRS auditing the return for Earned Income Tax Credit and asking for documentation to verify income and withholding reported on the return.
Benefits of the IRS Document Upload Tool
This new option will reduce the correspondence burden, decrease the amount of time it will take to resolve the issue, and gives the taxpayer confirmation that the IRS received their documents.
In the future, the IRS plans to expand this capability to dozens of other notices.
For more details, see the following on the IRS website:
- IRS News Release IR-2023-20 – IRS can now upload more documents to IRS; new online option for 9 notices can help resolve issues faster
- IRS Fact Sheet FS-2023-05 – IRS expands secure digital correspondence for taxpayers
CrossLink Professional Tax Software
CrossLink is the industry’s leading professional tax software solution for high-volume tax businesses. Built based on the needs of busy tax offices and mobile tax preparers that specialize in providing their taxpayer clients with fast and accurate tax returns, CrossLink has been a trusted software solution since 1989. CrossLink’s in-depth tax calculations, advanced technological features, and paperless solutions allow you to prepare the most complicated tax returns with confidence and ease while providing your customers an unparalleled experience.