2023 Tax Day
The federal 2023 tax filing deadline for Tax Year 2022 individual tax returns, also known as Tax Day, is Tuesday, April 18, 2023. This day is also the filing deadline for calendar year C Corporations (1120) and Estate/Trust (1041) returns.
Tax Filing Extension Deadline 2023
The tax filing and payment deadline was extended for individuals and businesses that were affected by certain disasters as follows:
- May 15, 2023 – New York (For more details see IRS News Release IR-2023-58)
- July 31, 2023
- Arkansas (For more details see IRS News Release IR-2023-68)
- October 16, 2023
- Alabama (For more details see IRS News Release AL-2023-01)
- California (For more details see IRS News Release IR-2023-03)
- Georgia (For more details see IRS News Release GA-2023-01)
For e-Filed returns that are rejected on April 18, 2023, the return will be considered timely filed if it is retransmitted and accepted by April 23, 2023.
File for a Tax Extension
If an individual needs more time to complete their 2022 individual federal tax return, they can request an extension until October 16, 2023 by filing Form 4868 (Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File US Individual Income Tax Return). Remember an extension is for time to file the return, not to pay any tax due. If it is determined that the taxpayer may owe tax when they file their extension, they must include their payment with the extension.
April 18, 2023 is also the deadline for the following:
- Making a contribution to an IRA for Tax Year 2022.
- Making a contribution to a health savings account (HSA), an Archer medical savings account, or a Coverdell education savings account for Tax Year 2022.
- Making the 1st 2023 Estimated Tax Payment (1040-ES) for individuals.
- To file an automatic extension (Form 4868) for individual federal returns to October 16, 2023. Remember the extension is for filing the return only. Any tax due must be paid by April 18, 2023 to avoid any penalty and interest.
- To file an automatic extension (Form 7004) for calendar year corporations and estates/trusts to October 16, 2023.
CrossLink Tax Software
CrossLink is the industry’s best professional tax software solution for high-volume tax businesses. Built based on the needs of busy tax offices that specialize in providing their taxpayer clients with fast and accurate tax returns, CrossLink has been a trusted software solution since 1989. CrossLink’s in-depth tax calculations, advanced technological features, and paperless solutions allow you to prepare the most complicated tax returns with confidence and ease while providing your customers an unparalleled experience.